Ian McCracken Photography
Sunrise over the River Forth and Kinghorn beach.
A late evening view of the inner harbour at Whitby
The 199 steps lead up the hill to St.Mary's church. At several places there are benches that were originally installed to allow coffin bearers to rest while making their way up to the graveyard.
A view overlooking the piers of Whitby harbour, shortly after sunset.
Catching the afternoon sunshine at Kinghorn Beach, on the Fife shore of the River Forth.
A view of West Lomond hill with the Parish Church and houses of Markinch in the middle distance.
Early morning light on the Firth of Forth. This is a view from Pathhead Sands, Kirkcaldy.
A telephoto shot from Pettycur Bay road, Kinghorn, looking west/upriver towards the road and rail bridges that span the River Forth.
Early morning and rising tide at Kinghorn beach, in Fife, Scotland.
Irn Bruar by the look of it! ;-)
Looking north from the coastal path.
Kellie Castle was completed around 1606, although the oldest tower dates back to 1360. This ancient castle is brimming to the battlements with fascinating stories. It was once home to Robert the Bruce’s youngest daughter and later the Earls of Kellie. The 1st Earl saved the life of King James VI, while the 5th Earl fought at Culloden on the Jacobite side and then spent the entire summer of 1746 hiding in an old beech tree in the garden to avoid capture. In 1878, Professor James Lorimer acquired the lease and began a desperately needed restoration project. His sons – the painter John Henry Lorimer and the architect Sir Robert Lorimer – spent much of their childhood at Kellie Castle, their family’s holiday home. Sir Robert was a leading devotee of the Arts & Crafts movement and designed many highly acclaimed buildings across Scotland, including nearby Hill of Tarvit. After his father’s death, Sir Robert took over the lease and continued the extensive renovations of the castle. Robert’s son was the famous sculptor Hew Lorimer. In 1937, Hew and his wife Mary moved in, and when the Earl of Mar & Kellie died 20 years later, his successor sold the castle to them. The family finally owned the property they’d rented for three generations, and Hew and Mary continued to improve and conserve Kellie Castle for many years. The National Trust for Scotland purchased Kellie Castle in 1970, after Mary Lorimer died.
The Lower Limestone Formations sandstone at Seafield, Fife.
Orion rising over Lady's Tower and the River Forth.
Last light at Ruby Bay, looking out to Elie Ness, with the Bass Rock and East Lothian in the distance.
'Heritage' is a sculpture in the town of Glenrothes, Fife. Designed in 1976 by David Harding, the white concrete columns represent architectural styles of earlier cultures including Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Inca and Aztec.
Twilight at Dysart Harbour
Dunstanburgh castlelies on the Northumberland coast, between the villages of Embleton and Craster. The castle was built in the 14th century by Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, the wealthiest nobleman in England. This image is a view from the north of the castle looking uo to Lilburn tower which overlooks Embleton beach and Gull Crag. https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/dunstanburgh-castle/history/
Sunset over Northumberland, as viewed from Lindisfarne, which is also known as the Holy Isle.
Sunrise over the island of Inchkeith in the River Forth. This shot was taken from the beach at Kinghorn.
Blue Hour at South Queensferry, looking over the River Forth towards Fife.
An early morning view over Kinghorn as the rising sun clears a bank of low cloud.
Christmas Eve sunrise bringing some warmth to a frosty Kingdom of Fife.
'The sun can warm the coldest dawn'