DSC07148-Edit.jpg
The Ross Fountain takes pride of place at the most westerly end of Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh. Sculpted by artist Jean-Baptiste Jules Klagmann and produced at the world-famous iron foundry of Antoine Durenne in Sommevoire, France, the cast-iron fountain includes cherubs, mermaids, walrus and lion heads and four female figures representing science, arts, poetry and industry. Edinburgh gun maker, Daniel Ross, saw the fountain in London at the Great Exhibition of 1862 and gifted it to Edinburgh. However, others were less impressed – Dean Ramsay, the mid-Victorian minister of St John’s Episcopal Church, described it as ‘grossly indecent and disgusting; insulting and offensive to the moral feelings of the community and disgraceful to the City.’ Despite this, it has since become a much-loved landmark in the city, and after various periods of partial operation in recent years a full restoration project was undertaken in 2017. The whole conservation process cost around £1.9m, and took around 40,000 hours to restore the fountain. Care was taken to ensure the proper materials were used on the cast-iron structure. 650 litres of paint were used to reintroduce the original colour scheme, which more closely matches that of other French fountains from the same period. The formal switch-on took place on Sunday 8th July 2018.